Wednesday, April 13, 2005

How to Dismantle the Atomic Bono

From an industry newsletter I receive... (it's slightly edited)


U2 Teaches the World About Texting
By Cory Treffiletti

This past weekend I was lucky enough to see U2 play a sold-out show in
San Jose. If you haven't seen U2 in the last few years, you need to do
so immediately! The show they put on is one of the best shows I've
ever seen and they definitely know how to work a crowd.

During the show, Bono dedicated some microphone time to the topic of
human rights, and as part of their desire to raise awareness for this
timely topic, they asked everyone to take out their cell phones and
text message their names to the number 86483 to be added to a petition
of people who pledge their support to improving human rights around
the globe. Bono stated they were looking for 1 million names and when
I looked around the arena I think it's realistic that they'll get it.

The cell phone is now as ubiquitous, and as useful at a concert, as
the lighter was in the '80s. What's more, 20 minutes later, the names
of the people who had texted themselves was scrolled across the big
screen hovering over the band, allowing the crowd to see their names
in lights and tied forever in the image of their minds to that show.
As one of the people who saw his name in lights, I can personally
attest that the experience was fantastic and a one-of-a-kind feeling.
It allowed me to connect with my inner rock star, if only for a brief
moment.

...

That night, after my name was scrolled for the world to see, I
received four text messages from other people in the crowd who'd seen
my name in lights and wanted to say 'Hi.' No wasting time, just a
quick "what's up" and a "rock on" response. The connection was made,
and we got back to the business at hand.

...

Cory Treffiletti is the senior vice president, managing director at
Carat Interactive San Francisco.


1 Comments:

Blogger hotrod said...

wonderful. perfect "synergy," as they say. the only thing more of a public nuisance than cellular telephones is bono vox.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home